Sunday, April 6, 2014

Hasta Luego El Salvador!

My 1 month volunteer trip in El Salvador came to an end this past Tuesday.  The day before I had to fly out, I spent my last full day riding around on a Motorcycle with my friend Chris Van Dine through El Tunco, La Libertad and Tamanique.  I had my best sunrise surf session that morning and I caught so many nice long waves.  I watched my last sunset from the back of a motorcycle while Chris took me through the mountains and the bumpy dirt roads of Tamanique.  It was beautiful and I couldn't have asked for anything more.


After my motorcycle adventure and watching my last sunset, I made my way over to Remar Orphanage to say my final good byes to the kids.  The kids were curious as to why I was saying good bye, "Dondes Vivas?" they asked me ("Where are you going?").  "Yo vivas Canada" I told them ("I'm going back home to Canada").  They all came out of their rooms in their PJ's and showered me with hugs and kisses...they literally showered me with so much love that my heart melted and tears began to fill my eyes as I slowly started to feel emptiness.  I wanted to take them all back home with me.  I often get asked why I don't have kids of my own.  Why do I need any if I have 80 plus kids in El Salvador to love?  It's amazing how much of a bond you can develop with these children in just a month.  Not to forget how much of an impact you you can make in their lives.  The time you spend with these children, the care you provide them when they're hurt, and the laughter you give them...they'll never forget that.  


If you want to make a change in the world, be the change and just go and do it.  If you're not able to, you can donate to the next 100 Smiles Project and we'll be the hands and feet that do it for you.  100% of all donations go to the project.  It's all documented for the public to see so you'll know exactly where your donation is going.

I never had the chance to make my way to Guatemala or Nicaragua like I wanted to due to limited travel funds and travel time.  I also felt that I really had to focus 100% in one area (El Salvador) and not just sprinkle bits and pieces of support around Central America if I didn't have the finances or the time.  If you're going to volunteer somewhere, you've gotta give it 100%.  Projects in Guatemala and Nicaragua will have to wait until the next year or two.


Hasta Luego El Salvador!  I can't believe how quickly the month went by.  I'd say this was my most fulfilling trip yet.  Lots of great surf, met tons of amazing volunteers, made new friends, my new relationship with God, new projects to work on for 100 Smiles Project December 2014/January 2015 trip and fell in love with new children.  I couldn't have done this without the help of God's guidance.  I feel so blessed and loved!

Remember Jahaida?  The chicken defeatherer girl (defeathering the chicken after it comes out of the machine).  I surprised her with tweezers to make plucking much easier and faster!


Lots of love,
Elly

No comments:

Post a Comment