Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Martino - Hasta Luego My Friend

When you meet amazing people, you'll never forget them.  Even if it's someone you may never see again.

This past Sunday was a pretty sad day for me.  About two weeks ago, I met Martino Giustina, a traveler from Milan, Italy.  He's got this thick Italian accent, long dark hair to his chin, grown-out travellers facial air and stunning bright greenish/blue eyes paired with a genuine welcoming smile.  On Sunday he left for Nicaragua and we had to say our good byes.

Martino and I got to know each other really well, especially since we've been staying in the same dorm room together at Casa Makoi Hostel.  We pretty much did everything together....morning breakfasts, morning/evening runs, volunteer, lunch and dinner.  The one thing we never did together was surf (he wasn't really much of a surfer).  We shared stories of travel, what we did back at home, families, good food and future travel.  I always had to remind myself to speak slowly or else Martino would get lost in my words and he'd have this funny "raised eye-brows" look on his face.  

When I told Martino about my 100 Smiles Project, he was game for helping out.  He came with me to the orphanage every single day ready for all the labour work we had to do and all the loving to give to the kids at the orphanage when the kids were finished school.  When the kids had free time, they would surround him like a heard of sheep, crawling all over him, pulling at his hair and tugging at his clothes.  My mornings started out so beautifully every day when Martino and I would have breakfast together and say to me "We go to orphanage again today?".  It was even better when he'd tell me about new recruits who wanted to join us for the day.




You can tell that Martino's got this amazing soul and such a free spirit.  There's this amazing energy that comes off of him that I just enjoy being around and I know the children at the orphanage feel that too.  He's a ball of fun, caring, respectful, loving, stress free, very relaxed but so full of life.  He's very mindful of everything, which is something I'm trying to bring back with me when I come home in April.  

The day before Martino had to leave, he had to say his good byes to the children at the orphanage.  He told me "I feel very sad, I never thought I would feel this way about the children.  When I say good bye, I feel like I leave a piece of my heart with them".  

His next travel destination is Nicaragua and while he was there he wanted to find a place to volunteer.  He told me that my 100 Smiles Project inspired him to do so and wanted to continue on the good works and keep inspiring others to do the same.  It was one of the most beautiful things I've heard so far on this trip....someone wanting to continue my project in another country :)

Martino, God bless your loving heart and your beautiful soul.  I will never forget you my amazing Italian friend.  Until we meet again....in Milano, Italy :)

Hasta Luego!

xo




No comments:

Post a Comment