Sunday, March 30, 2014

A visit to Love & Hope Orphanage

A few days ago I made a trip to Santa Tecla to volunteer at an orphanage called Love & Hope for a couple of days.  There was something in my heart telling me that there was other orphanages I needed to seek out to volunteer at, provide some financial support and to chat about future projects.  I did a Google search and Love & Hope came up.  I contacted them prior to visiting, made arrangements for my visit and they welcomed me into their home with open arms.  

Love & Hope is an orphanage that was started 10 years ago by a lovely woman named Rachel Sanson who left everything at home in Ohio to devote her life to children in need.  She started the home after a couple of mission trip visits to El Salvador as an English teacher and caregiver and felt a call to start a home where children could grow in a healthy family atmosphere where love and care would be provided and not just food and a roof over their head.  She now has 18 children that she looks after with the help of caregivers, long-term and short-term volunteers.

I had the opportunity to spend this past Thursday and Friday there helping the kids with their homework, playing activities with the kids, joined them for a family meal and chatted with Mandy (Director of Administration) and Rachel to learn about how the orphanage is run, what type of support they need and what they do in order to keep it running successfully.



Like Remar Orphanage the government does not provide any government funding, so Love & Hope is kept running with donations from volunteers, sponsors, friends, family, etc.  All financial donations they receive go towards food, medical, education and shelter for the children.  None of the money is taken for administration fees. 

Just before I left Love & Hope I made a $500USD donation on behalf of 100 Smiles Project with the money that was donated towards the project for this month.  When I presented Rachel with the money, she said that it came at a perfect time because this month was the lowest that they’ve ever been with for donations so the $500USD we had provided helps them out a lot. 

Thank you to friends and family at home who have donated.  I would not be able to do this without your support.

Hasta Luego!
Elly

xoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment