Sunday, March 30, 2014

Playa San Diego: Handing out Love Bags to Families

While I was waiting for some waves in the calm glassy water during one of my beautiful sunrise surf sessions last week, an idea popped up in my head.  I’ve been trying to think about the best ways to distribute the rest of the funds that were raised for from the 100 Smiles Project campaign.  I thought it would be great to go back to Playa San Diego (a very poor community I had visited a week and a half ago) and provide them with food and financial donations. 

Andrea (from La Red Christian Surfers) and 3 of the World Race Members (Courtney, Wendy and Nicole) came along to help me out.  We went to Selectos grocery store to purchase shopping carts full of pasta, rice, beans, oil, tomato sauce, salt and sugar.  We packaged the items together to make 16 love bags, brought them to Pastor Orlando’s church/community where he had arranged for the mothers of each family to meet prior to church service to pick up their love bags for their families.  They were all very happy, grateful and thankful.  I told them that I couldn’t have done it without friends and family at home.


I also provided Pastor Orlando with an additional $200 to support his feeding program.  In case you missed my last blog; Pastor Orlando feeds a community of 100 plus people almost every day.  This money will help him feed the community for 4-5 days. 

Friends and Family at home who have donated, you guys fed 16 families and provided 4-5 future lunches to a community of 100 plus people.  Well done!

Hasta Luego!
Elly

xoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment